Thursday, July 14, 2011

Good night Will - Mommy will see you in the morning



Bedtime is such a funny thing. When I was little I can remember hating when the final credits ran of Full House because I knew that it was time to go to bed. Em and I would read books in her bed and when my parents would come to turn off the lights I would quickly pretend I was sleeping - because if I was sleeping then they wouldn't dare wake me to move to my own bed :). As an adult bedtime is a wonderful thing! Laying down in cozy sheets, letting your body relax from the stress and activity of the day knowing ahhhh I can sleep in tomorrow because its Saturday.

Then Will came into our lives :) HAHA. Our little alarm clock - a very very cute one at that! When we first took Will home I remember thinking there really is never a bedtime - its just a 3 hour block that happens over 24 hours - just from 9pm to 5am its really dark in the house. I must admit I sometimes dreaded the night but each week it got a little easier. Will has always been a great sleeper. So good in the beginning my biggest stress was how to I keep the little guy awake long enough to feed him. About 3 minutes into a feeding he would be fast asleep laying all over me - and I must be honest I didn't care one bit that it might take over an hour to nurse him. Now Will is 5.5 months old and if you were to tell me back on 3 months ago I could put Will in a crib and he would fall asleep on his own I would have laughed you out of Chicago. No rocking for hours, holding the binki in his mouth by his crib, rubbing his head, his back, his arms, his cheek, singing "sweet baby will" over and over and over until I couldn't remember where the song started or stopped. 5.5 months later I kiss him on the cheek (about 50 times) and tell him "I will see him in the morning" (even though sometimes its more like 4am for a quick snack.) What a smart boy he is. Amazing that little by little he learned that sleep sack = bed time and that laying in his crib alone can be fun when you roll from one end to the other over and over. What an amazing thing it is to watch a baby learn. When you think it would be impossible for a little baby to accomplish the "impossible" - they do it right before your eyes. Although I would never EVER trade the hours of rocking, and singing and and snuggling for a million trillion dollars - it is nice to have my little boy asleep at 7pm to enjoy dinner and movie at night. I love you Will and I will always be there to see you in the morning!


Who wouldn't want to wake up for the smile!

The king of the 30 minute nap. I thought maybe if I tucked him in real tight he would stay asleep. No luck - but comfort slept for hours!

Funny pictures from his video monitor

Jammed up to the side in his cribby



Side Sleeping - how we really know he is calling it a night!

Tummy sleeping



No comments:

Post a Comment