Thursday, May 19, 2011

Feb 3rd due date came...and went

24 hours old - having happy dreams

My little snuggle bug

4 hours old - nothing like a warm little baby cuddled all up - in love

Hours old staring up at Jason - he was so alert and ready to see the world

William Howard Pope - Born 2/5/2011, 8lbs 2oz, 2:50pm CST
We will love you forever - Love Mom and Dad


Feb 3rd was a date that I had said over in my mind for 9 months. Every countdown was centered around that date but the funny thing about a due date is that only 10% of babies are actually born on your due date. So yes Feb 3rd came and went and the waiting seemed like a lifetime. I was super lucky because I felt great the whole pregnancy - even in those final days - but as everyone knows I am not a good waiter. On Feb 4th I went to my exercise class with my fellow pregnant moms (minus Jenny...she had been busy the day before during the great Chicago Blizzard meeting her son Justus- everyone will soon get to know Jenny and Justus our good friends) and everyone was surprised to see me there...still pregnant. So after class I walked for an hour and then went out for a mani and a foot massage. The foot massage was a tip from my sister in law Melissa. She said the girls at this salon were miracle workers to get things going :). My mani and foot massage was followed up by a long walk and a trip to the candy store on Southport - yep the candy store - did I mentioned I was 40+ weeks pregnant.

When Jason got home from work that night we took another walk (we thought we could walk the baby out of me), ordered sushi and watched the social network. I was having contractions all night but nothing that was to painful. By 2am I feel asleep and was up by 6:30am ready to have the baby. I remember waking Jason up saying "yep these feel different - lets go for a walk." And walk we did. Around the block for about 45 minutes when we both decided Feb 5th was the day we would meet our son! I showered up, had some breakfast and headed to the hospital. Between contractions I called my mom and dad (who booked a flight and got to Chicago by 5pm), sister and bother. It was time!

My labor/delivery experience was drug filled and amazing. Jason was by my side the whole time. We checked into the hospital at 8:30am, was ready to push by 2:00pm and was holding Will by 2:50pm. My sister arrived from Madison at 2pm just intime to get a couple quick encouraging hugs and kisses in. The day was so amazing, Jason and I got to talk and enjoy the whole process of having Will.

The moment I saw Will for the first time I was in pure shock. I was shocked he came out so fast and so painless - I almost didn't even have time to register Will was here. But alas after 9 months and 2 days of wondering what he would look like, what he would smell like, would he know I was his mom, would he love me -- he was in my arms, staring up at me with a full head of hair, loving and trusting me to take care of him for the rest of his life. I will never forget the date Feb 5th, 2011 at 2:50pm because my life changed forever and I can never imagine loving anything more then my sweet baby boy William Howard Pope.




No comments:

Post a Comment